Welcome.....

To my world of the weird, the strange, the unexplained......... no, I'm just kidding, this is a happy place......OK, maybe I am just a little weird.

Friday, May 25, 2018

A Tale of a confederate soldier

Since it is Memorial Day week end, I thought you might enjoy this little story from right here in Kinmundy. This is the grave of Enos W. Taylor, it is in a cemetery near our house. Sometime I take my walk there and yesterday, I saw this grave again and so here is the story, as is written on his tombstone. : "Enos W. Taylor, Hampshire Co., Virginia, a Confederate soldier, that was laid to rest, all alone from a prisoner of war train, never again to see his home so far away, He is now a faded memory of the past. forgotten by most and would have been forgotten by all, if not for the compassion shown by Isaac Eagan, who gave him a proper burial.". This is a true story and is written in the Kinmundy's historical records. The story is that he was gravely injured and was put on a train back to Virginia. He died on the train and they just threw him off along side the track...someone buried him in a shallow grave, supposedly with his boots up, to show that he was an enemy. This man, Isaac Eagan, then stepped in, and you know the rest of the story..I thought this was interesting and also sad. However, he has a very nice grave, there are always flowers and an American flag there, there is even a flag pole installed right there. So, that's my history lesson for today, you all have a good one, and if you took the time to read this long post, thank you!

UPDATE:  UPDATE: to my post about the Confederate soldier, Enos. W. Taylor, thank you, DAVID THOMSON: " Buddy Brimberry told me this story, too. He added that once Isaac had given the soldier a proper burial, he managed to get in contact with the family. I think they were from Virginia. Enos Taylor's mother and a couple other relatives traveled to Kinmundy by train, and were well received. The family of Enos Taylor thanked the people of Kinmundy for their hospitality and respect for Mr. Taylor, before returning home in peace."

No comments: