Welcome.....

To my world of the weird, the strange, the unexplained......... no, I'm just kidding, this is a happy place......OK, maybe I am just a little weird.

Friday, July 31, 2009

Apple Pie and grandma's "Dough Cookies"..

I cleaned out the freezer, and found one last bag of sliced apples from last year. So, it was apple pie making today. You know if you don't use those frozen apples within 6 months, they start to turn into dried apples in the freezer. So, I cooked these babies for 45 minutes before they were soft enough to even put in a pie, then I added extra cinnamon and it turned out very well, except that the apples got extremely dark (even though I added lemon juice), it tasted good though, just looked more like raisin pie....so.......after I made this pie, of course, I had leftover dough, so I made some "dough cookies" like my grandma used to make for me when I was a little girl, just basically the dough, cut into shapes, and cinnamon and sugar sprinkled on top. Grandma had cookie cutters shaped like the images on a deck of cards, spade, club, diamond and heart. I don't know why I remember that she had them, but she always used the club one. So Bill and I were at an auction once time, and we bought a box of junk and in there was a spade shaped cookie cutter, which is what I made my dough cookies with...nice memories of grandmas kitchen and years of watching her create a wonderful meal out of nothing...

Here's my dough cookies, don't look at pretty as grandma's though.

No comments: