Welcome.....

To my world of the weird, the strange, the unexplained......... no, I'm just kidding, this is a happy place......OK, maybe I am just a little weird.

Monday, September 26, 2005

The Legend of Enos W. Taylor

It was a beautiful day today and so I decided to take a walk in the cemetery...what?.....well, because "In My Head Everyday Is Halloween" and besides it's close to my house and has nice little paths to follow. So I am walking along in the morning sunshine and I see a grave with a confederate flag. Then I remembered what the story was and was thinking about the story of this confederate soldier and why he is buried here in Yankee territory.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The story is writtin right on his tombstone, but the part I remember was that he was thrown off the train, dead and somebody just threw him in an open grave with his boots up and threw some dirt on him. Not a very respectful way to treat a human being, but this was a time of war and hate.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Poor Enos W. Taylor was only 19 years old and died for what he believed in. The other part of the story is that there were hundreds of people that attended the funeral for Enos, none of them knew him, but honored his memory. I don't know why Mr. Eagan decided to do this kind and respectful thing for this unknown soldier, but there were fresh flowers there today on this Monday in September. A life remembered from a time when our country was divided and hundreds of thousands died on the soil they called home.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I wonder if the family of Enos Taylor ever knew what happened to him, their young son who went off to war and never came home.

No comments: