Welcome.....

To my world of the weird, the strange, the unexplained......... no, I'm just kidding, this is a happy place......OK, maybe I am just a little weird.

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

They just don't have them all locked up yet!!

Before I tell you some stories concerning events happening during this ice storm, just let me show you a few pictures I took. I like to call the first one "Alien grass", as it looks unearthly with the ice surrounding each blade of grass and the fall leaves embedded there too add a strange touch.
Cornfield in winter.
Icicles on a park bench.
Ice encrusted trees on the road leading out of town.
Grape vines in my yard. If you look at the upper left fourth of the picture you will see a branch with small stems and the grape buds at the end. The ice has formed a cluster of glass grapes.
Grape arbor in winter
Abstract clotheslines
Ice spiders
My new car...

So now for my stories.
The power went off here in Kinmundy about 12:30 or so in the downtown area. We decided to drive around and see what was going on. It was still sleeting a little, but we dug our way out and I grabbed my camera. We only drove a block and happened to see a tree on fire, a power line was hanging in it, as soon as we drove right under it, it exploded in three places and the power line hit the ground, the tree was still smoldering. This all took place before I could even get my camera out. Pretty scary, we high tailed it out of there. Little did we know, that was OUR power source too.

We drove to the downtown area, the grocery store was still doing business using a pencil and paper, they had no lights or power of any sort, the gas station could not pump gas , but was open changing windshield wipers and such. We drove a few more blocks, and a huge tree limb fell in the road right in front of our car, we backed on out of there pretty quickly too, I told Bill we should just go home because it wasn't very safe out there, but, of course, he ignored me and drove on. Soon we turned the corner and there was a young guy on top of his roof. A very large branch , about 1 foot in diameter had smashed into his roof and he was up there cutting it before it did any more damage. Yes, he was on an ice covered, steep roof, you could see him sliding around up there, and he had a chainsaw running full force. Hello???? ice, roof, chainsaw??? Thing's that make you go hummmmmm!

So, while we were watching him, and waiting for disaster to strike, a car drove by us and it was an old red convertible, with the cloth top. All of the windows were broken out, the cloth top was half gone on the back side of the car and his fishing pole was sticking out of the back, all covered with ice like the tree branches....I'm tellin' ya....I can't make this stuff up....and like I said, they just don't have them all locked up yet, they should start with that guy on the roof with the chain saw, and follow up with the windowless convertible guy.

When we got home, our power was out and it didn' t come on until 8:00 last night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow what a day! cool photos! we had that storm this morning but minus the ice! ACK! its so cool you go out and about and JUST narrowly missing two tree disasters, the guy on the icy roof sounds nuts, but I had to laugh at the red convertible with the iced up fishing pole sticking out, obviously it was like that before the storm, LOL LOL

Love Kim, I cant remember my login..LOL